Bowers builders were enlisted to repair and refurbish the Addington Railway Station, for Kiwi Rail. The gateway station to the TranzAlpine across the South Island.
The former Addington Railway Workshops were once the largest railway workshops complex in New Zealand. The city’s first railway workshops were established at the Christchurch Railway Station site in 1863 but by the late 1870s these were too small and their location at the station was intrusive.
Addington was the site chosen for new workshops and a rail line was built to link the two sites. The workshops opened in 1880 and at the turn of the 20th century about 550 men were employed there. The Addington Railway Workshops closed in 1990, after which time the site was redeveloped as the Tower Junction retail centre and also became the site of the new Christchurch Railway Station (Warren & Mahoney, 1993).
We were proud to be part of the next refurbishment of the stations history. With a leaking bitumen roof and extra space and safety features needed we set to work. We re-roofed and refurbished the whole area. Paths and the platform were extended and handrails added to the platform.
The photos show the new platform being created. New form work was made and re-enforced with steel in preparation of the concrete pouring for the new platform. The luggage conveyor also enjoyed a Bowers makeover! New steps with stainless steel handrails completed the modern transformation of the station.
The photos clearly show the ‘before and after’ of this refurbishment project.